Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Second Week in Sevilla


(Picture in Cadiz)

Important notice: The ever-elusive churro stand still evades me. They were sold-out once more (which only encourages my persistence, these must be some darn good churros!) but the vendor kindly laughed when I showed up again and told me that if I stopped by on the way to class instead of afterwards, he’d guarantee me some churro con chocolate… so morale is high. (Picture in Cadiz)


My first weekend I took a weekend trip to Cadiz, it’s a city right along the beach and absolutely gorgeous. Cadiz is thought to be the oldest city in Europe, founded in 1100 BC by the Phoenicians. After its foundation, the city became naval bases and ports for the Romans, as well as the subsequent Moorish and Christian empires. A group of study abroad students that I have met and befriended went on this weekend adventure and I decided to join the group and slipped on the bus as well as in tour groups for free and unnoticed! Cadiz had many ancient buildings and my favorite was the huge bell tour we climbed up and were able to look out over the whole city. We stayed in a very sketchy hostal because we neglected to arrange for one ahead of time. (Picture from the top of the Cadiz Bell Tower).


By the way I FINALLY got some good churros, on my last day in Sevilla haha. They were just as I had imagined… fried heaven dipped in melted dark chocolate. Now I'm hooked. (Picture overlooking the city of Cadiz).


After two weeks in Sevilla, I hoped a train to my small town and home for the next 9 months, La Palma Del Condado. My first impressions of my small town of 8,000 people is that it has good Spanish charm, lots of character, and very nice residents. Within a few days of being here I was able to find an apartment that I am sharing with the other American girl that is teaching at the high school in our town. We signed the lease and moved in within 2 days. 


I start work on Thursday October 1st...



No comments:

Post a Comment