Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Three Kings Day (Dia de Los Reyes Magos)


While most of the world has already begun packing up the Christmas ornaments, throwing out the tree, and finding a place for all of their gifts, Spaniards are continuing the celebration. January 6, Three King’s Day, is the long awaited day in which the three Kings bring their gifts. In Spain this day is the equivalent to Santa coming on Christmas morning for us in the United States.

On January 5, children go to a parade where they see the three kings arrive to their city, and take the opportunity to ask them for gifts. I knew about the celebrations on this day but I had no idea to what extent they celebrated. I heard the music and cheers from inside my apartment blocks away. I quickly got ready and went out into the streets, only to find the entire town lining up along the sidewalks. How had no one told me about this!

My friend Tamia and I watched the parade and after I was invited to a family’s house that I tutor for.


Since La Palma is such a small town the Three Kings visit all the houses full of children throughout the night and give them their first gift. Then the children go to bed and wake up to the rest of their gifts in the morning. The family I celebrated with has 5 children (all under the age of 9). The Three Kings didn’t arrive at their house until 2 in the morning. We all waited up eating, singing Spanish Christmas carols, and playing games.


Families often have a typical dessert, the “Roscón de los Reyes”, a large ring shaped cake that is decorated with candied fruits, symbolic of the emeralds and rubies that adorned the robes of the Kings. It was exhausting but I felt like I truly experienced the holiday. When the kings, Mechior, Gaspar, and Balthasar finally arrived they were not alone. There were women with tambourine’s and drums and men singing that led the way. The whole experience was very fun and it made my relationship with the family much closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment