Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Mullet

Recently I have been getting many questions as to why the sudden change in hairstyle. I can understand why people would be curious as to why I went from long curly locks to short straight ones. Well it has taken me quite some time to come to terms with my new hairstyle and I am still not sure how I feel about it. Some friends have already read this note and I recieved good feedback from it so I decided to share it with anyone who keeps up with my blog.

So I originally wrote this note while sitting in one of my sisters lectures at UCD, some sports management class, surrounded by fellow red heads and beautiful accents... I was trying to find some humor in my current situation/ newest bout of bad luck.

Now I would like to share this story with you... I like to call it, My Mullet.
I went in for a haircut about a month in a half ago. All I wanted was a trim. Basically she did a horrible job and the layers were all f***ed up but then I broke my foot and wasn't capable of getting it fixed.

Then, finally able to walk on my own again, I venture back to the salon. Let me remind you I live in a small town and my choices are limited... Having said that I still don't know why I take my business back to the same place.

Anyways, I told her in the best spanish i'm capable of, that I wanted the layers fixed and one part to be blended into the rest of my hair better. I also told her I didn't want it any shorter. I'm not really sure what happened next, its all a blur, but I left the salon with a mullet. So i'm thinking "what does this say about my Spanish skills?"

To give you a visual... I look like a dyke who lives in a trailer park with her girlfriend.
Pre, My Mullet phase, When I thought of the mullet what came to mind was an American icon. The Mullet is just about as American as pick-ups with rifle racks, tractor pulls, Wal-Mart, wet T-shirt contests, slapping your girl upside the head with a frying pan, oh and living in the woods.

For awhile I was horribly unhappy with how it looked, but luckily enough the rat tail in the back was long enough to pull up into a bun. When i took my hair down to show Shannon while I was in Ireland she began rolling on the ground in laughter saying "It's SO much worse then I imagined..." Oh great, Thanks Shannon!

Needless to say there were tears shed and some epic "80s rock" photos taken.
I kept thinking it was too bad I didn't have an AC/DC or Bob Seger concert to go to because I would definitely have been the "belle of the ball." I did consider taking some friends' advice and "rocking" the mullet or at least letting it loose and taking it for a test drive. I do have to admit that the business in the front, party in the back idea is appealing. Anyways here's a taste: (thanks to Linda for Photoshop help! and yes thats my real hair.)


So now I have it cut extremely short because I told the hairdresser in Ireland to do whatever it took to get rid of the mullet.... Good thing hair grows, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment