Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas Party!


The end of the Christmas program marked the end of school for both the students and teachers for 2009. All the students were officially on break and went home with their parents.

All the teachers on the other hand were ready to celebrate!

Our Christmas lunch and party had been highly anticipated by me for a couple days and I was really excited for the opportunity to get to know the fellow teachers outside the classrooms. (Me with my new best friend Guadalupe!)

This ended up being some of the most fun I have had since arriving in Spain. We had a lunch that consisted of multiple courses, deserts, and an open bar. The meal lasted over 3 hours. (Gambas - served at basically every meal and I have learned to love them..)

When the lunch was over I thought that meant the evening was over but boy was I wrong! The open bar extended the rest of the evening, there was a DJ, a dance floor, and all the schools in the local area celebrating at the same location.

My favorite part was seeing some of the strictest and more conservative teachers ‘let loose.’ The music selection ranged from current popular songs to Grease Lightening and traditional Spanish songs with traditional dances (mostly Flamenco). I was a little shy at first to participate in all the dancing because well 'I don't dance' and the Spanish have very good moves and always look so good dancing.

However, after a few drinks and plenty of people pulling me onto the dance floor, I couldn’t resist any longer and I gave in. I learned a few flamenco moves and I showed them a few of my own moves as well... As many of you know after a few drinks I like to get my dance on just as much as the next person. (All the teachers doing a conga line!)

The whole evening was very fun and I experienced my first work Christmas party, Spanish style. I can walk away from the evening feeling closer to each teacher after breakin it down on the dance floor with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment