Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thanksgiving


Spending the holidays away from home and the people you love is always difficult but luckily I have befriended plenty of Americans in my same situation. We gathered in Bollullos Par del Condado, which is a small town only 5 minutes from mine. We invited friends from all across Andalucia, both Spanish and American. (Photos is of Tamia a girl from my program who also lives in my town and I spend a lot of time with)

Everyone contributed to the feast and I am actually quite pleased with how everything turned out. We had a good mix of Spanish and American foods. We were able to track down a turkey and even cook it. We had stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, salads and everything else you can imagine. The only thing missing was cranberry sauce!

I was given the responsibility of carving the turkey, don’t ask me why, and its not as easy as it looks.

My roommate took on the task of baking 3 pies from scratch. They turned out delicious and now I know how to bake an apple pie!

The days leading up to Thanksgiving I was able to squeeze a small lesson into each of my classes. I showed a slideshow of pictures from past Thanksgivings and included historical information, the Macy’s Day parade, and watching American football. Then I had my students color Thanksgiving photos and they also had an assignment to research the holiday and write about what they learned in English. Part of my responsibility is to make sure the “English Corner” is always up to date, so for homework I had students print photos and information off the internet to decorate the bulletin board.

No comments:

Post a Comment