Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas Program



Having performed in six St. Clare Christmas programs and attended almost ten, I figured helping out with Manuel Siurots would be no problem. When asked to teach a few of the classes English Christmas carols i was thrilled with the idea. How hard can it be right? Well, let me tell you, this was one of the hardest tasks I have tackled so far. We sang Frosty the Snowman so many times I wouldn’t be sad if I never had to hear the song again! 365 days seems as though it will come too soon! But all the frustrations aside, the program turned out relatively well and I found myself bursting with pride when all my students successfully performed their songs.

Spain’s idea of a Christmas program is much more relaxed and how to put this nicely...unrehearsed when It came to putting on a show for all the parents. My main responsibility was to teach the classes songs in English. I was amazed when we showed up on the performance day and the entire gym had been turned into a stage and all the classes were showing up in amazing costumes. The 3 year olds were dressed as Three Keys, the 4 year olds were Christmas Trees, there were elves, carolers, and jazz routines. The mix of Spanish and English was hilarious and rough around the edges but I was flattered with the schools attempt to include me and “show-off” its bilingualism.
The program lasted almost 3 hours because each grade performed 1-2 songs and there are two classes for each grade. The gym was packed with parents and everyones spirits were very high. I took many pictures and have film clips of the various performances.
The 3 year olds sang “Tres Reyes sabios vienen de Oriente”


The 4 year olds sang “El arbol de Navidad”

5 year olds sang and danced to “Es muy bonito ser amigos” and “Ya vienen los Reyes Magos”

First grade (both classes combined) sang “Compartir es amor”

Second grade (both classes combined) sang “Jingle Bells” and “Nana”

Third grade one of the classes danced to two different Christmas carols and the other third grade class sang “Oh Merry Christmas” and “Tres Camellos”

Fourth grade one of the classes sang “I have a Dream” from Mama Mia and the ABBA music collection. I would just like to say I had nothing to do with this classes song choice, their teacher is learning English and wanted to pick her own song! When she asked me if it would work for the Christmas program I said “sure, why not!”

The other Fourth grade danced and sang to “Todo se puede lograr”

Fifth level performed with instruments to “Hacia Belen va una burra” and “Navidad, Navidad”

And for the finale was Sixth grade singing “Frosty the Snowman”

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!! Your Blog. Awaiting the video of Frosty...

    Your writing and stories are so entertaining. Keep up the good work!

    Love - Mom

    ReplyDelete